The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics is a research powerhouse. The college is dedicated to excellence in research in the physical, biological, and computational sciences, and promotes a strong national and international research agenda.
Faculty members in our six departments are involved in cutting-edge research and are recipients of $28 million in competitive research funding each year. The range of faculty expertise among the six NSM departments makes it possible to match student and faculty interests closely.
NSM is best known for its research in these areas:
- Energy: superconductivity, exploration geophysics, environment, and air quality
- Biosciences: behavioral genetics, neuroscience, evolutionary biology, and biomedical imaging and modeling
- Materials and nanoscience
- Center for Advanced Materials
- Institute for NanoEnergy
- Texas Center for Superconductivity at the University of Houston
- High performance computing