The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics is committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service in the physical and biological sciences, computer science, and mathematics. NSM's location in the nation's fourth-largest city and energy capital of the world presents numerous opportunities for collaboration with the Texas Medical Center, NASA's Johnson Space Center, and other entities.
The College’s strengths include:
- An ethnically diverse student body of more than 5,000 NSM majors and more than 900 degrees awarded each year
- More than 200 ranked faculty, including two National Academy of Sciences members
- A solid research funding base with $32 million in annual research expenditures
- Academic collaborations with numerous institutions, industry consortia and partnerships, and outreach programs to local school districts
- Innovative resources to ensure student success, including a centralized testing and tutoring center and peer-led team learning workshops, and
- Focused efforts to recruit and retain minority students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics through the Houston Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation.